A thesis is perhaps the most important sentence in an entire essay. It introduces the topic, gives your stance, and briefly previews the main topics in an essay. Using the following checklist, you can create the perfect thesis every time:
- Does it answer the question posed by the writing prompt?
- Does it introduce your topic?
- Does it preview your three main points?
- Does the point preview match the order of the body paragraphs?
- If you looked at it by itself (with no other writing around it), does it still make sense?
Be sure to ask yourself these questions as you write your thesis. Here is a guide to help you create a perfect thesis for your expository paper: